magnificent geekery in chicago (iv)

|
Just past aforementioned little playground, I saw this coming up on the right side. It was sort of almost jarring to see it, because it looked so familiar!



It was a little smaller in person, though. I think the half-basement makes it look deceptively large, but it's really quite wee. The house looked unoccupied still, so I pulled over for more pics. Sadly, it was easily the most neglected house on the street. There were two nice pine trees beside the garage, but the ivy on the chainlink had long since died:



The windows were boarded up, but the numbers were still on the garage:



BTW, I just have to say... even having BEEN there, I still haven't got the faintest clue what's going on with the interior floorplan. Nor do I know what psycho designed it *LOL*

A bit of a different angle, showing the tree out front:



And here's the front door. I seriously think you must go in and then up a flight of stairs. it definitely looks like the parlor area and the second floor are add-ons, though. Also, the front and left side look like a stone facade, but then around the corner it's whitewashed brick. Odd little thing!



This is a view of the garage's tiny window and side door, as well as the front yard:



The front, complete with boarded-up basement windows:



And the side alley, with random whitewashed brick!



Chipping whitewash :[



Annnd the back, where the brick isn't even whitewashed *LOL* Alas, there's actually no backyard, but I'm totally gonna fudge that bit of it.



Interestingly, I found these tracks in the snow around back:



I'm pretty sure those are deer tracks! Big, even-toed!

These are the neighbors on both sides of the street, up and down the street:









Everyone else's houses were pretty nicely taken care of *dies* I felt embarrassed for poor little 6944. I also felt a totally irrational urge to buy it and fix it up, which I quickly squelched.

By this time I'd walked and driven up and down the street so many times I was worried the neighbors were going to call the cops. But as I was driving off, I saw this:



40th and Home Ave! Daw. So I drove by one last time and took one more pic for the road :]



Next up: Czech kitchens and a lake and river 5 min down the road from the den!

0 comments:

Post a Comment